Who Will Cover My Medical Bills After a Car Accident?

What is personal injury protection insurance?

Personal Injury Protect insurance (PIP), also known as “no-fault insurance” covers the medical expenses related to injuries sustained in a car accident, no matter who is at fault, for both injured policyholders and passengers, even if they do not have health insurance. It is one of two coverages that are required in an automobile policy in the State of Florida (the other being property damage).

Do I have personal injury protection insurance on my car insurance?

In Florida, all owners of motor vehicles registered in the state are required to purchase PIP coverage. This means that if you are involved in a car accident and have automobile insurance, that you have PIP coverage.

What does personal injury protection insurance cover?

If you receive treatment within 14 days of the accident, 80% of the reasonable and customary medical costs will be covered by PIP, up to a cap of $10,000.00. You will be responsible for the other 20% of the coverage.

Unfortunately, the legislature passed a law a couple of years back that required treatment within 14 days of the accident to receive PIP benefits. Because of this, if you do not receive treatment within 14 days of your accident, you will not be eligible for PIP coverage.

Medical services, medication, surgical services, hospital expenses, rehab costs, diagnostic services, and ambulatory services are eligible for a PIP claim. PIP can even cover dental work related to the collision.

Part of a PIP claim is for a medical provider to determine if you have an emergency medical condition that would result in serious threat to the patient’s health. This will be something that your medical provider will help to determine and document.

Posted in

Dunmire Law

Leave a Comment





Categories

Subscribe!